I wanted to put this on your radar before the next few weeks, when (apparently) our nation (and perhaps even our little village of Louisville) will be going down in flames.
If we are to believe either/both sides of this nasty election, if Trump/Clinton steals/wins/loses the election, then we will have chaos/civil-war/armageddon and life/politics/Facebook as we know it will be coming to an end.
However, before all of that turmoil and during this season of relative calm, let’s you and I — yes, YOU, the Louisville taxpayer looking for the best tax professional — make a plan for your 2016 taxes that will set you up for longterm success. In fact, there may be a few moves we can make that can help your tax hit before we’re forced into “reaction mode” — which is the only mode out of which after-the-fact tax work can be done.
So I’d like to change that paradigm for you by having you answer a few short questions for me…
(The best thing to do is to cut and paste these questions into an email and send them to my Team Roberts office using the email address on our site.)
1) Have you had a significant change in your wage income this year?
2) Have you taken capital gains or losses this year? Are you planning to?
3) Did you start or sell a business in the Louisville Area (or outside) this year?
BONUS QUESTION: Do you know anyone who did, that would like input on their tax situation?
4) Did you purchase real estate?
5) Did you make your full contributions to retirement accounts?
6) Have you considered a Roth IRA?
7) Did you withdraw from retirement accounts, and for what purpose?
**8) Have you sent your family and friends our way — and, if not, is there something which we can help you with to make this easier?
9) Are there any other tax or financial (or other) issues you think we should know about?
Now — your answers to these questions form the “tip of the iceberg”, and they will help us to know which direction to take as we work with you over the next two months to prepare for year-end. With your permission, we’ll contact you back, as appropriate, and set up a time to discuss them further with you, whether by phone or other method.
I hope to see you in here soon.