Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens for hanging on to win the Super Bowl … and congrats to GoDaddy for finally making a commercial which didn’t rely on the exploitation of Danica Patrick!

(Truly, a pretty decent collection of Super Bowl ads — some of which may have actually moved merchandise! Which was your favorite?)

We are firmly in the thick of tax season here at Team Roberts and in our Louisville tax preparation service offices. Thankfully, we were able to get away to watch the (very fun) game last night, but we’re also experiencing a significant uptick in phone calls and activity this year, so I will say again: get your paperwork together soon and set your appointment ASAP!

Here’s the number: (502) 426-0000

Even though the IRS has a list of forms which will prevent us from being able to *file* certain tax returns until late February or early March (that list is found here — they’re mostly obscure, but worth looking over), that doesn’t mean we can’t start to prepare these returns.

However, perhaps it’s difficult for you to get that paperwork together … because you haven’t received all of it? If so, here’s what to do…

Kevin Roberts, Louisville Tax Professional, Explains What To Do When The Paperwork Doesn’t Come
As I write this on Monday, it’s past the time when organizations are supposed to have mailed all of their 1099’s and W-2’s (which was last Thursday, the 31st). By the time YOU receive and read this, you’ll have already checked your mail on Monday, and found out if you have all of the information you need.

Unfortunately, the consequences for not getting these forms out on time don’t often carry much teeth for employers. Further, sometimes HR departments or very small businesses don’t get their act together (probably because someone competent isn’t helping them! –ahem–), and … the W-2’s take a while.

(Here’s a link to concise information about what happens on the business owner side of things: )

If you haven’t gotten your W-2 on time, here are some basic steps for you (you might want to print out or bookmark this post, by the way):

1) Contact your payroll department/boss. Be nice about it — after all, they’re just as burdened by the paperwork junk as you are!

2) If, however, the days roll by and the form is indeed lost or your employer is inordinately slow in issuing a replacement, or you worked for a company that went out of business and there’s no one to bug about getting a W-2 … what then?

“Make” your own!
Well, actually, you contact the IRS at this number: (800) 829-1040 with the following info from your last paystub handy:
• Year’s wages.
• Payroll taxes withheld.
• Federal and state income taxes withheld.
• Contributions to your company retirement/401(k) plan.
• Employer’s tax identification number.

Wait on hold, and ask for Form 4852. Basically, this will inform your employer “officially” that they’re delinquent, and you can even use this form in a pinch, if your employer never gets their act together.

Or — do you want the BEST solution? Let us handle all that junk for you in the first place … which is part of what we do!

Please feel free to call [(502) 426-0000] or email me and my staff. Just because we’re busy, doesn’t mean we don’t care!